[vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Jan 13 12:06:36 PST 2005

On Thu 13 Jan 05, 11:40 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel at sbcglobal.net> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >>interesting....
> >>
> >>all devices return a "No such device or address" error from hdparm. mount
> >>gives the same type of error.
> >

> >That's hinky!
> >
> >Time to start shooting with buckshot.  Maybe we'll hit something.
> >
> >Can you tell me a little bit about your kernel?
> >Is it a distro supplied kernel?
> >Did you compile it yourself?
> >Do you have more than one kernel on this machine?
> >Where did THEY come from?
> >What mobo do you have?
> >Can you boot Knoppix and use your CD drive?
> >Can you boot Knoppix and try the test with mount/hdparm?
> >If Knoppix works, grab a copy of `lsmod`.
> >Can you cut and paste what "mount" responds with so I can see verbatim?
> >Please post /etc/fstab.
> >
> >Pete
> >

> If I may interject, it seems to me like he did not build, or does not
> load, the correct kernel part for his ide driver.  For most of us on
> inexpensive, IDE hardware only, we wouldn't even be able to boot (been
> there, done that). He can still boot, though, because his harddrive is
> SCSI.  I could be wrong, though.
>
> Jonathan

Yeah, I thought of that, but what bothers me is whether you use SCSI or IDE,
the mount command should STILL tell you what partitions are mounted.  Even a
user of all-SCSI systems should still be able to see mounted partitions
using "mount".  But it's certainly worth asking.

Dylan, are all your hard drives SCSI?

That would be hilarious -- a system that's all SCSI except for an IDE
Plextor drive.    :)

Pete