[vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 13 11:40:29 PST 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 05, 11:26 AM, Dylan Beaudette <dylan at iici.no-ip.org> said:
>
>>On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:16 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>>>Can you post the output of:
>>>
>>>   mount
>>>
>>>and:
>>>
>>>   hdparm /dev/hda
>>>   hdparm /dev/hdb
>>>   hdparm /dev/hdc
>>>   hdparm /dev/hdd
>>>   hdparm /dev/hde
>>>   hdparm /dev/hdf
>>>   hdparm /dev/hdg
>>>
>>>If any of the output says "no device" or something to that effect, don't
>>>bother posting it.  IIRC, you have to run hdparm as root, even when you
>>>just want to query the hardware.
>>
>>interesting....
>>
>>all devices return a "No such device or address" error from hdparm. mount
>>gives the same type of error.
>

> That's hinky!
>
> Time to start shooting with buckshot.  Maybe we'll hit something.
>
> Can you tell me a little bit about your kernel?
> Is it a distro supplied kernel?
> Did you compile it yourself?
> Do you have more than one kernel on this machine?
> Where did THEY come from?
> What mobo do you have?
> Can you boot Knoppix and use your CD drive?
> Can you boot Knoppix and try the test with mount/hdparm?
> If Knoppix works, grab a copy of `lsmod`.
> Can you cut and paste what "mount" responds with so I can see verbatim?
> Please post /etc/fstab.
>
> Pete

If I may interject, it seems to me like he did not build, or does not
load, the correct kernel part for his ide driver.  For most of us on
inexpensive, IDE hardware only, we wouldn't even be able to boot (been
there, done that). He can still boot, though, because his harddrive is
SCSI.  I could be wrong, though.

Jonathan