[vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Jan 13 10:16:31 PST 2005

On Thu 13 Jan 05, 10:18 AM, Dylan Beaudette <dylan at iici.no-ip.org> said:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I haven't bothered to try out the CDROM drive on this machine since linux was
> installed, and now with a 2.6 series kernel my CDROM drive has vanished! (or
> at least from the perspective of commands like mount)
>
> The drive is connected to the primary IDE channel, and my hard drive is
> connected to a serial IDE channel. As of kernel 2.6 my hard drive is accessed
> as a SCSI device. However, my cdrom drive does not answer to requests sent to
> hda,hdb,hdc,hdd ... nor to any SCSI devices...
>
> I googled for a possible kernel module that I need in order to use this drive,
> but didn't seem to find any pages suggesting that.
>
> also -- my kern.log and dmesg output don't even mention the drive...
>
> Any ideas would be quite helpful!

Hi Dylan,

If this is 2.6 we're talking about, do:

   modprobe -a ide_cd

If it says "module not found", look in your .config file to see if the
module was built into the kernel.

Also, ide_cd and ide-scsi are mutually orthogonal.  Make sure that ide-scsi
is NOT enabled (or that the module is NOT loaded).

Also, remove any arguments like:

   hdX=ide-scsi

that you may be passing to the kernel via lilo or grub.

HTH,
Pete

PS- Ignore cdrecord -scanbus.  It's useless now.  You access the drive using
the IDE name, as in:

   cdrecord dev=/dev/hdX etc etc etc...