[vox-tech] Assorted OO questions

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Feb 28 09:48:51 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Colored Cells
>
> Let's say I color a cell wth blue3.  Later, I want to color a cell with
> the same color.  But blue3 looks like blue1, blue2, blue3, blue4 and light
> blue (which isn't very light).  Is there a fast way to determine which color
> was used to color a cell?
>
> I would've expected that when you highlight a colored cell, the color swatch
> in the color picker should highlight.  Or something.  As it stands, I have
> to do trial and error for some colors.

In Excel, it does.  Perhaps in CVS OO already has this feature, or might
soon if you file a feature request. [1]

However, for now it looks like you can use Format Cell | Background Color
to see which color is currently applied to the cell.

> Scientific notation
>
> When I highlight a cell that contains 1E-10, the input line will display
> "0.0000000001" which is absurd.  I want the input line to read "1E-10".  Is
> there a way to configure the input line to display numbers only in
> scientific notation?

Dunno on this one.  It seems to be hardcoded relative to the size of
double.  I have always regarded this as a somewhat less-than-friendly
characteristic of the formula syntax, sort of like writing HTML or TeX is
different than viewing it.

---
[1] http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing