[vox-tech] Three Install Questions

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Fri Feb 18 11:19:44 PST 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 11:00 am, Wilson Shealy wrote:
> 1.  Are there any disadvantages (except disk space) to
> having an oversized Swap partition?

Honestly, I don't know.... never worried about it much.  I
suppose it might use more memory for the page tables.

> 2.  Could the use of the Reiser FS be somehow tripping up
> the boot method?

I don't think so.  I've used grub and reiser together many
times without incident.

> 3.  I have a fairly new computer (~2yrs) and was under the
> impression that I wouldn't need a separate partition for
> /boot.  Was that an incorrect assumption?

With grub it may be.  I think lilo is more flexible in
allowing the boot image to be anywhere on the drive if you
specify "lba32".  But OTOH I'm not a grub expert and may
have missed something.

Another reason I prefer lilo is its "-R" option, to specify
a boot image for the next reboot only.  It's very handy for
machines that you administer remotely, and as far as I can
tell grub has no equivalent.

-- Rod