[vox-tech] dell laptop

Hans W. Uhlig deathguard at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 23:09:13 PDT 2005

--- Josh Parsons <jbparsons at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I'm the proud new owner of a Dell Latitude D810
> laptop.  I was wondering
> if anyone here had had any experience running linux
> on one of these
> beasts, or a laptop featuring similar hardware.  The
> main sources of
> frustration for me so far have been the ipw2200
> wireless card, ICH6 SATA
> i/face and ATI X300 video.
>
> My main unresolved problems are these a) the ipw2200
> crashes every now
> and then and has to be reset by reloading the kernel
> module, b) the ICH6
> needed tweaks to the kernel sources (to enable
> libata's support for PATA
> interfaces) before the DVD drive was fully
> functional, and c) the video
> card works great (this is with the standard xorg
> driver) but apparently
> gets very hot (after 30mins of use I could fry an
> egg on the laptop's
> case just where the video chipset is located).

The heat is fairly normal even in its windows drivers
and this is also the first peice normally to go if not
the HDD. Be wary. GPU idleing isnt available in the
Reverse Engineered ATI Drivers last I checked and isnt
very good in windows to begin with.

> Anyone else here using this sort of hardware /
> having similar problems?

Hans W. Uhlig
Mobile Field Technician
Staples Inc.