[vox-tech] dell laptop

Josh Parsons jbparsons at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 29 10:50:30 PDT 2005

Hi, everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of a Dell Latitude D810 laptop.  I was wondering
if anyone here had had any experience running linux on one of these
beasts, or a laptop featuring similar hardware.  The main sources of
frustration for me so far have been the ipw2200 wireless card, ICH6 SATA
i/face and ATI X300 video.

My main unresolved problems are these a) the ipw2200 crashes every now
and then and has to be reset by reloading the kernel module, b) the ICH6
needed tweaks to the kernel sources (to enable libata's support for PATA
interfaces) before the DVD drive was fully functional, and c) the video
card works great (this is with the standard xorg driver) but apparently
gets very hot (after 30mins of use I could fry an egg on the laptop's
case just where the video chipset is located).

Anyone else here using this sort of hardware / having similar problems?