[vox-tech] Rant: LaTeX graphics programs

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Apr 29 12:06:26 PDT 2005

On Fri 29 Apr 05,  2:52 PM, Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org> said:

> > Also, I discovered that Dia exports in xfig format.  So if you get
> > something you like in Dia, including its libraries, you can export it to
> > xfig.  In particular, you can export a library object as xfig, then place
> > it where xfig looks for libraries, and you have a new xfig library object!
>
> Whoa!!!  Now I'm really happy.  That's awesome news!
>
> If I'm moving an object in xfig but it only in increments (say, a moved line
> jumps in increments of about a centimeter) is there a way to move it by
> smaller increments?   So for example, I want to move this object:

> to the right, but when I do so, it immediately jumps to this location:

> is it possible to get it to move only part of this distance?   Is there a
> "snap to grid" type option I can turn off?

OK.  Never mind.  I found it.

This program will take a *LOT* of getting used to, but I can almost see how,
if one gets past this crummy interface, one might actually get to like this
program.

But this interface really does blow chunks.  It really needs a nice GTK or
Qt interface.

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein