[vox-tech] Rant: LaTeX graphics programs

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Apr 29 11:52:23 PDT 2005

On Fri 29 Apr 05, 11:39 AM, Jonathan Stickel:

> > Is it possible to use Dia's coil and turn it into a library element for
> > xfig (so I can scale it and all that good stuff).  That would make me
> > really really happy...
>
> I'd forgotten about the library feature!  Anyway, I found a spring in
> xfig:  Electronic/Schematic/Coil.

AHA!!!  That's why I couldn't find it.  Man, does this widget set blow!

I saw:

   electronic -> more

and thought that electronic was a directory that only contained another
directory named "more".  I didn't realize that if I lifted the mouse button
while hovering over "electronic", that I'd see the library members.  This
whole "keep the mouse button pressed until you want to make a selection"
thing is really bad for the hands.  :(

OK, now I'm beginning to get happy.   ;-)   Thank you!!

> Also, I discovered that Dia exports in xfig format.  So if you get
> something you like in Dia, including its libraries, you can export it to
> xfig.  In particular, you can export a library object as xfig, then place
> it where xfig looks for libraries, and you have a new xfig library object!

Whoa!!!  Now I'm really happy.  That's awesome news!

If I'm moving an object in xfig but it only in increments (say, a moved line
jumps in increments of about a centimeter) is there a way to move it by
smaller increments?   So for example, I want to move this object:

to the right, but when I do so, it immediately jumps to this location:

is it possible to get it to move only part of this distance?   Is there a
"snap to grid" type option I can turn off?

Thanks!!!!
Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein