[vox-tech] dvd and strange filenames

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 21 12:09:56 PDT 2005

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):

> Is there a way of getting Windows to mount this DVD fine?

The DVD appears to be missing some helpful Windows-world file metadata.
More below.

> I'm vaguely familiar with the terms "rockridge" and "Joliet", but I
> *thought* I burned the DVD using rockridge extensions...

Rockridge gives you better than just 8.3 filenames + DOS file attributes
on _Unix_.  Joliet gives you comparable enhanced metadata on _Windows_.

Anyhow, you need to specify Joliet in addition to Rockridge in whatever
software tool you use to generate your ISO9660 or UDF images.