[vox-tech] dvd and strange filenames

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Apr 21 11:52:23 PDT 2005

I burned a DVD on Linux.  When the DVD is mounted on Linux, it looks fine.
When the DVD is mounted on Win2k, everything is capitalized, spaces get
converted to _ and filename length appears to be cut.

Curious:

1. Why such good behavior on Linux but such strange behavior on MS Windows?

Pragmatic:

Is there a way of getting Windows to mount this DVD fine?

What options should I be using with dvdrecord or k3b to avoid this problem
in the future?

I'm vaguely familiar with the terms "rockridge" and "Joliet", but I
*thought* I burned the DVD using rockridge extensions...

Thanks!
Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein