[vox-tech] Forwarding SMB through SSH

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Wed Apr 6 08:41:09 PDT 2005

På onsdag, 06 april 2005, skrev Richard Crawford:
> On my Solaris server at work, I'm running Samba and sharing the web directory
> over it so that it can be viewed by the Windows computers at work.  I'd like
> to be able to access this share via SSH on my Linux computer at home; is this
> possible?  I've enabled port forwarding in the /etc/sshd.conf file on the
> Solaris machine, and port 22 is the only port I allow through the firewall to
> that server (and even though, port 22 is only accessible from my home IP
> address).
>
> I've tried:
>
> # ssh -f -L2001:localhost:139 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx sleep 20000

I think that the sleep command after the arguments to ssh is unnecessary.

I cannot comment specifically on Samba, due to a complete lack of usage
experience, however, I have sucessfully used ssh to tunnel VNC over an
insecure network, by starting the vnc server on the remote host (shown below
as romana.hajhouse.org), then running this on the local host:

	ssh -C -L 5901:localhost:5901 romana.hajhouse.org
	xvncviewer -passwd vncpasswd :1 # port 5901 = :1 in X notation

I know this is not what you asked for, but perhaps it may help. Perhaps you
might try tunneling another service to see if tunneling works in the general
case, in case the problem is some specific strangeness of the SMB protocol.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13