[vox-tech] Urgent news: Linux may be relicensed

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Apr 1 11:59:24 PST 2005

On Fri 01 Apr 05, 10:56 AM, Micah Cowan said:
> Bob Scofield wrote:
> >I can't find anything about this on the CNN website.  And judging from the
> >two replies to this message I don't know if this is serious.
>
> It wasn't. I was almost willing to accept it at first, but even then, I
> knew one simple fact: no matter what Linus' intentions might be, it is
> legally impossible for him (or anyone else) to relicense Linux as
> anything other than GPL. This is because he doesn't own the Linux source
> code: only a small fraction of it, basically. That and the trademarked
> name "Linux", itself. In order to change the lincese, the entire
> community of everyone who ever contributed source code to Linux would
> have to agree with the move, which is of course logistically impossible.
>
> Happy April Fool's Day! :-)
>
> -Micah

Heh.  The prankster speaks.  This morning, I woke up (much earlier than all
of you since I'm on the east coast now), and read /. with my morning coffee.

There was an article about Brittanica taking over Wikipedia.  The article
was _really_ well written.  I became incensed and started planning on how to
drum up support for wikipedia.  I went over the main site to see if there
was anything I could do to help out.

Then I saw the picture of Encyclopedia Brittanica "agents" with semi
automatic weapons and combat gear.  At that point, it dawned on me today was
April 1st.  That set the gears in motions...

Pete