[vox-tech] Urgent news: Linux may be relicensed

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Fri Apr 1 10:56:37 PST 2005

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I can't find anything about this on the CNN website.  And judging from the two
> replies to this message I don't know if this is serious.

It wasn't. I was almost willing to accept it at first, but even then, I
knew one simple fact: no matter what Linus' intentions might be, it is
legally impossible for him (or anyone else) to relicense Linux as
anything other than GPL. This is because he doesn't own the Linux source
code: only a small fraction of it, basically. That and the trademarked
name "Linux", itself. In order to change the lincese, the entire
community of everyone who ever contributed source code to Linux would
have to agree with the move, which is of course logistically impossible.

Happy April Fool's Day! :-)

-Micah