OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 30 10:48:38 PDT 2004

Henry House wrote:
> På torsdag, 30 september 2004, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
> [...]
>
>>The fact that OO.o does not display imported EPS graphics on-screen is a
>>PITA.  However, you can export to pdf where the graphics do show and are
>>high quality.
>

> Actually it is worse than that: the exported PDF looks and prints like the
> poor on-screen representation in OOWriter, i.e., with very poor quality.

Hmm... I just tried and choosing "export pdf" gave me no graphic, so
that doesn't work.  Instead, you need to "print" to a pdf.  I
accomplished by using "OO.o Printer Administration" and adding
"kprinter" (sends the job to KDE's printing system).  After printing to
kprinter in OO.o, I get KDE's printing dialog and choose "print to pdf"
This gives me a desirable result.  Kind of a roundabout method, but it
works.  You probably could also use "cups-pdf".

>>But this doesn't help much either if your clients need to
>>edit your documents, and I suppose Latex is out of the question ;)
>>
>>I'm curious:  how did you convert EPS to EMF?
>

> Gnuplot outputs EMF directly. However, I also succeeded at conversion using:
> 'pstoedit -f plot-fig plot.eps plot.fig | fig2dev -L emf plot.fig > plot.emf'.
> The conversion caused the lines to homogenize to a constant width --- a
> minor disadvantage.  Pstoedit directly supports EMF (my manual page says so)
> but my binary does not have that driver compiled in, so I did not test that
> method, which surely be superior.

OK, I've used pstoedit a little.  I'll keep this in mind.

Jonathan