[vox-tech] VPN question

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 17:11:20 PDT 2004

I know that M$ uses something called Remote Desktop Protocol for the
terminal services crap they use (RDP).  It's like most of the VPN
clients, a remote framebuffer so that you can mouse and keyboard around
your desktop.  All that I know about the linux VPN stuff is that some
of them use this protocol, some of them don't.

Having never set one up as a linux server, I don't know much about it.
However, I have used rdesktop (a great linux RDP client) to go in
remote to windows desktops; it's great.  From what I have heard from
other people, as long as your server uses the correct protocol, the
clients aren't really all that much different.  I know there are linux
VPN servers that allow connections to linux desktops over RDP... but I
never did it.  People say good things about TightVNC, as well, but
again, I never used it.

Most of what I know comes down to: rdesktop works great to connect to
windows terminal services (and any other server with RDP)!

Sorry to hear that an IT dept. is not hip to linux.  Most places (even
SBC, in my experience) will say 'we don't support linux, but you can
try... [x]' (and x is an attempt at something helpful).  I have gotten
the "sorry, you use linux and you're SOL", too, tho.

HTHO,

jan

--- Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org> wrote:

> I was given a laptop by the college I work at (well, loaned,
> actually).  It
> had Windows XP on it.  I just did a Debian net install on it, but it
> was
> really exhausting hearing people say:
>
>    * You realize we won't support it, right?
>
>    * It's against school policy to install your own software.
>
>    * How are you going to check mail?  Read Word documents?  See ppt
>       presentations?
>
> over and over and over.  I felt like Linux was a dirty word, and I
> had to
> smile, be polite and nod my head in agreement for over an hour to
> placate the
> people at IT.  The coolest person was the dean of IT, Mark, who was
> totally
> supportive.  Even though he doesn't use Linux himself, he was the
> only person
> who seemed totally cool to the idea.  I guess that's why he's in
> charge.  :)
> He's a good guy.
>
> Anyhow, on to the question.  I'm going to be given access to a VPN.
> I know
> nothing about VPNs.
>
> I'm hoping that there's a VPN protocol, and that it's not some
> propietary
> thing that I don't have a ghost in hell of connecting to with my home
> computers.  If it's a well known protocol, I'm sure there's a Linux
> client
> that I can use.
>
> Is VPN the kind of thing where every implementation is different and
> it has
> to be reverse engineered on an implementation by implementation basis
> (like
> parallel port scanners or certain P2P protocols) or is there one VPN
> protocol
> that uses the same authentication across implementations?
>
> And if VPN is standardized, what are some clients that people like?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> --
> Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler. -- Albert
> Einstein

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering