[vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 14:01:14 PDT 2004

Mark K. Kim wrote:

>>Maybe it sends signals to the window manager
>>via X.
>

> Which is what Jonathan was looking for -- a non-WM-specific way to bring a
> window to the front.  Something that works with ALL window managers (or at
> least the nicely behaving ones) that isn't E-specific or KDE-specific or
> whatever.  He doesn't care if the request goes through the window manager
> or not.

Yes, exactly, that's what I would like.  What I'm actually doing is VTK
programming (vtk.org), but through a scripting language.  I figured out
how to manually position and size the window via VTK commands, but this
just moves the window around in its current layer without bringing it to
the top.  I tried positioning the window way off the screen where there
would be no other windows, which it did, but when I ran the command to
capture the image, X crashed.  Oops, won't try that again!

Jonathan