[vox-tech] rescuing winxp?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 24 13:19:52 PDT 2004

Quoting Mark K. Kim (lugod at cbreak.org):

[Redmondian doc.]

> It says DOS 3.3 needs IO.SYS to be located in the first three sectors of
> the "disk data area" (whatever that is.)  DOS 5.0 does not need IO.SYS to
> be located in the first three sectors, but must be contiguous.

Typical useless Microsoft doc:  Doesn't actually say how it works.
We're not supposed to worry our pretty little heads over it.  (Not that
I personally care.  The last MS operating system I had on one one of my
own boxen was MS-DOS 6.x with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.)

> I think the majority of this work is done by the boot sector code, not
> MBR, so it has a little more room to work with.

I'm unclear on what precisely you mean by "boot sector code", here.
(Not trying to be difficult:  Part of this is that I'm rusty at what
various parts of Microsoft-speak refer to in the real world.)