[vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 12:40:47 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:24:21AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>>Is there a command I can run from commandline, say from an xterm
>>(actually konsole), to select a certain window in an X-session (actually
>>KDE) and push it to the top?  I'm doing some scripting and have a
>>command which essentially seems to do a screen capture.  I want it to
>>capture the contents of a certain window, but that window must be on
>>top, of course, not hiding behind another window.
>

> I don't have KDE in front of me right now, but I'm guessing there's
> probably a dcop message you can send either to the app, or to the kwin
> process.
>
> Just guessing, but something along the lines of:
>
>   dcop app app-mainwindow\#1 show
>
> Where app is the app in question.
> Maybe poke at the kdcop GUI interface to the dcop's of the running apps.
>
> Good luck!

OK, I'll look into that.  I'm actually doing some development work for
octave/octaviz (my first time as a developer!), and I'd like to have a
method that will work on most unix/linux computers (and cygwin too, if
possible).  I was hoping for a low level X-windows system call, but I
just realized windows management is going to depend on the specific
windows-manager. ;)  Oh well.

Jonathan