[vox-tech] Debian Sarge, Video and Monitor Configuration

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Tue Sep 21 09:53:14 PDT 2004

> For your monitor, VertRefresh should be 85 since 85Hz is your monitor's
> capability.  But instead of just setting it to 85, it's best to give it a
> range that it is capable, so X can pick the best one out of all the
> possible ones.  Since most monitors are capable of 60Hz, it's safe to
> assume your monitor is also.  So I'd set your VertRefresh rate to this:
>
>    VertRefresh  59-86
>
> As for HorizSync, I don't quite understand that thing.  I usually work
> with the default range, tweaking it as necessary.  As long as you know the
> vertical refresh rate is set properly, it's not too hard to tweak it.  I
> think you can use xvidtune to help you tweak it, too.
>
> BTW, many monitors today has the ability to display its current display
> rate.  So if you have Windows or Knoppix and can get it into the mode that
> you want, you can write down its display setting and apply it in the
> XF86Config-4 file.  For example, by clicking on the [2] button on my
> monitor I see that my Windows XP display (hehe) is currently set to "fH
> 68.7kHz, fV 85.1Hz", which means my display is currently using horizontal
> sync rate of 68.7kHz and vertical refresh rate of 85.1Hz.  So I *could*
> set my XF86Config-4 file to say:
>
>   HorizSync   68-69
>   VertRefresh 85-86
>
> to get the exact same setting.  It's possible I won't get the exact same
> setting, though, so I'd expand the range a bit, like this:
>
>   HorizSync   60-80
>   VertRefresh 70-90
>
> Just approximating, knowing that my awesome Panasonic PanaSync Pro P110i
> monitor I got from Geoff isn't stupid enough to blow up if I enter in some
> bad number.
>
> Just try it.  See if it works using your monitor's display feedback.
> Monitors today don't blow up or smoke away like they used to... not that
> I've ever seen one do that. Thankfully...
>
> BTW, as I mentioned before, being able to set high refresh rates isn't
> just about the video card, but also about the monitor, so you gotta make
> sure the monitor is capable of it, too.  I got the impression that this is
> a laptop computer, and if all you're using is the built-in LCD monitor,
> then it's fine at 60Hz.  If you don't have a CRT monitor that you plug in
> regularly, then keep it at 60Hz to be compatible with various things you
> may end up plugging into (CRT, projector, A/V signal converter, etc. --
> they all work at 60Hz but may not at higher rates!)  Otherwise match it
> with the CRT monitor that you plug into regularly 'cuz it's pointless to
> adjust the rates for things you may never plug into...  Just my 2 cents..
> whatever that really means...! =P
>
> Oh yeah, you're not finding the HorizSync and VertRefresh values for your
> video card on the Internet because those are values for the monitor, not
> the video card!  If you wanna look up those values, look up your CRT
> monitor's specs, not your video card's!
>
> -Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am indeed running a laptop.  I never attach it to a CRT, the only time I
attach an
external monitor to it is when I do a presentation (maybe once a year) and I
hook it up to a projector.

I've been looking for specs on the monitor, but can't seem to find anything
more specific than stuff on the IBM product sales stuff.  Although maybe my
monitor
is only capable of 1400x1050, so maybe I'm OK where I am.

I don't have Windows or Knoppix installed on this machine, so I don't have
access to those tools you speak of.

I'll play with the refresh rates like you describe and see if anything blows
up or smokes :)

Jay