[vox-tech] linux box as a router

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 09:15:40 PDT 2004

Hi:

Yea, I have done this sort of setup before.  Any distro will usually
work fine, as long as it has iptables (just my preference), and iproute
utilities (including tc).  Most of the stuff you would manage with are
just scripts that you write yourself (you can find alot of help on
tldp, the advanced routing howto).  If you need help in this area, I
can share a bit of the stuff that I kludged together from tldp.

Redhat/fedora has a shapecfg package that lets you choose rates for
each interface, and allow you to limit/police traffic through the box.
Never used it, but it looks easy enough... as usual just more scripts
in /etc/sysconfig.

I would say that you can't really find a more cost-effective solution.
Another guy who does this sort of thing said the system was thousands
of dollars...  My experience was that it was the easiest and most
transparent (both to the end user and admin) of any system I have seen.
 I don't think you need any special software, most distros have iproute
and iptables... and when I looked at other things that did this sort of
thing, (routing with) linux definitely looked like the easiest thing to
implement and deploy.

Once the router box was setup, all that it needed was one script (no
reboots, special software, or anything...) to get traffic both policed
(limit incoming traffic) and limiting outbound such that one direction
would never saturate the entire pipe...

Let me know if you need help, or if you want to look at my (very very
very simple) script, but it's just like the ones in the tldp howto...

Best of luck,

jan

--- "Milver S. Nisay" <mnisay at aim-consultants.com> wrote:

> anyone had experience on implementing linux server as a router +
> bandwithd
> shaping or management device?
> have you found it cost-effective in terms of managing the the box as
> bandwidth limiter or shaper?
> any linux software that is preferable to use and manage the
> bandwithd?
>
> we are into acquiring a device that will manage the distribution of
> the
> bandwithd to clients and internal networks,
> besides from rate limit from routers.
>
> would appreciate your advise.
> thanks,
> milver nisay

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering