[vox-tech] my keyboard quit working

R. Douglas Barbieri doug at dooglio.net
Tue Sep 7 13:07:00 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:50:21PM -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>>All this makes me think that my problem is buried somewhere in X or KDE.
>

> One quick test... don't boot into X-Window and see if the keyboard continues
> working after the kernel has come up (you said it worked in LILO), but
> before X11 comes up (you said it didn't work in KDE).
>
> You can try doing "linux single" (where "linux" is the name of the kernel
> in LILO that you want to test) to boot into single-user mode.  If you can
> type at the root prompt, then yes, it's an X issue. :^)
>
> Good luck!

I had a similar problem on my AMD box at home. I could get into console
and my keyboard worked fine. But for some reason, it stopped working in
X. Specifically, using just plain "xinit" to start X, the keyboard would
not work. When doing "startx", however, something about the
initialization of KDE caused the keyboard to start functioning again.

I have since re-installed Debian onto a completely clean hard drive
(same machine, however), and the problem went away. I'm not sure what
the problem was in the first place :-/.