[vox-tech] Export MySQL DB to flat file

matthew lange matthewlange at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:01:42 PDT 2004

Dylan,

Even if I knew how to make flat files from MySQL, I wouldn't tell you...and
here's why:

I take particular interest in this article.  While I tend to eschew MS as a
whole (...yeah right, as my email comes from Hotmail--well FYI hotheads
[some of whom I've heard from privately], I got this email address before MS
bought them!!!), I would consider myself a relative expert in MSSQL, and
actually enjoy the product.  I have had great success using it in
combination with Open Source Front Ends, and Open Source middle tier
business app.s...(mainly Java, but some PHP, and some Python).

That said...these people are complete ignoramuses.  If they don't realize
that all they need is an ODBC driver for MySQL in order to access the DB
directly from MSSQL, (which is always more preferable than converting the
data to flat files), and that they can then populate their own MSSQL local
tables through querying what MS calls a 'linked server' (--formerly referred
to by MS as a 'remote server'),which is just a regular query to the MySQL
server--then they don't really know their own product very well, and you
want to be as far from them as possible.

If I were you, I would, in front of the appropriate authority figure,
espouse the benefits of accessing the 'real' data, as it is stored on MySQL,
rather than capitulating to the ignorance of the hack (i.e. definitely not
"hacker"), who is staking his/her claim to your data, and relying on an
inferior method of data transfer through flat files.

I can explain this to you if you like...but you can probably find the
information you need on Microsoft.com or MSDN.

...My 2 cents.

Don't give 'em shit...give 'em the straight poop, and stand-up for what is
right...at least technically...regardless of platform.

By the way...while it is always painful to see a curtain closing on your
window of influence...just take it in stride, knowing that you are bound for
far more important things.

Oh, and one more thing, now that the Open Source DBs are becoming more
robust...I am definitely being swayed in their direction.

Cheers,

matthew