[vox-tech] debian and openoffice

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Thu Oct 21 23:06:03 PDT 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:38 pm, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> How does Gentoo keep it's "stable" branch "up-to-date" without becoming
> unstable? Could Debian learn from this?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but for the
most part Gentoo packages are updated independently of each
other, and from time to time you run "emerge --update world"
to get the latest stable stuff.

Every once in a while there is a major set of upgrades
happening all at once, wherein the Gentoo release (or
"profile") number changes.  The change from 1.2 to 1.4
(over a year ago, I forget exactly when) was unusually
painful, and required some extra work; I found it easiest
to reinstall.

-- Rod