Gentoo install (was Re: [vox-tech] debian and openoffice)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 11:10:22 PDT 2004

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Rod Roark wrote:
>

>> Just in case you were thinking of trying a different
>> distribution.  ;-)
>>

> What level of expertise does one need in order to install Gentoo?  It's
> not like installing Mandrake or SuSE, right?  I'm somewhat familiar with
> the Debian install.  Is it like Debian?

Gentoo is a command-line, configure yourself install.  Fortunately,
there is detailed documentation to help with the install, as well as how
to maintain and upgrade Gentoo.  In many cases the standard user will be
satisfied with most of the default configurations and suggestions
provided by Gentoo.  However, you must still manually configure your own
fstab, Xfree/xorg config file, and manually compile your own kernel.  If
you are already making changes to these with another distribution, you
are probably ready for Gentoo.

Jonathan