[vox-tech] debian and openoffice

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Oct 18 10:23:48 PDT 2004

On Mon 18 Oct 04, 10:19 AM, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> said:
> On Monday 18 October 2004 10:00 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Have to admit, I've been greatly disappointed with Sarge.  I don't remember
> > Woody being this bad when it was in testing.  Something happened...   It
> > almost seems like "testing" now really does mean "testing".   ;)
>
> I guess Gentoo is much like Debian in many respects, aside
> from the compile-from-source focus.  Anyway I wanted to
> comment that I've been generally pleased with the up-to-
> dateness of the Gentoo's "stable" tree, and pretty much
> stick with it except for a handful of cases where only an
> "unstable" package has something I need.  I'm using it on
> two servers and my desktop now.
>
> Just in case you were thinking of trying a different
> distribution.  ;-)
>
> -- Rod

Actually, I appreciate the comments and have been thinking of giving Gentoo a
try for quite some time.  The only reason I haven't is that I haven't had
much time to play with computers lately.  Too busy... maybe once winter
vacation rolls around, I'll give Gentoo a try.

You certainly gave me *excellent* advice when you suggested that I ditch Exim
for Postfix.  I've never been able to say "I love my MTA" until I started
using Postfix.  :)  I'll take your word on the OS too!  :)

Pete