[vox-tech] Configuring Multiple Apache Instances

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sat Oct 16 17:35:15 PDT 2004

Rod Roark wrote:
> On Saturday 16 October 2004 04:01 pm, Jay Strauss wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I want to run 2 apache2 instances on a single box, NOT 2 virtual hosts.
>>  Why, because they need to have different configurations.
>

> Apache is very flexible... different how?

Well, I'd like to have 2 apaches running one for my brother to develop
against, and one for me to monkey with configurations, install other
software and stuff without disrupting him, while I bring the server up
and down.

Also, I'd like one instance to include one set of a directory structures
, and another one to include a different set.  Like including my perl
libs in one apache, and my brother's development perl libs in another.

>>I just do a apachectl and pass in a different httpd.conf file?
>

> Yes, or whatever comes naturally for your distribution.
> Check /etc/init.d/httpd or whatever.

I just installed from source.  But I don't see any way to pass in a
different httpd.conf

Thanks
Jay