[vox-tech] Configuring Multiple Apache Instances

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Sat Oct 16 16:11:10 PDT 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 04:01 pm, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to run 2 apache2 instances on a single box, NOT 2 virtual hosts.
>   Why, because they need to have different configurations.

Apache is very flexible... different how?

>   Do I have to
> install apache2 twice (or copy one install to another directory)?

No.

> Can't
> I just do a apachectl and pass in a different httpd.conf file?

Yes, or whatever comes naturally for your distribution.
Check /etc/init.d/httpd or whatever.

The gotcha is that you can't bind both instances to port 80,
unless you have two IP addresses and are careful to have one
instance listen to only the first one, and the second to
only the other.

-- Rod