[vox-tech] accessing a UC Davis Restricted Document

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 08:21:49 PDT 2004

Bryan Richter wrote:
> To me, a web browser is a mystical device that lets me see pictures from afar,
> like some palantir. When it breaks, then, I don't know the first place to start
> looking for a fix.
>
> My problem is when I try to access a "UC Davis Restricted Document." There are
> two times I run into these: Selecting the web-based reader from
> http://news.ucdaivs.edu and logging in at http://sportclubs.ucdavis.edu . I'll
> use the Sport Clubs site as the example, since it's the one I really need.
>
> This is the process for Firefox 0.9.3 and Konqueror 3.3: When I click the login
> button, I am directed to a page informing me that the document is restricted and
> I need to sign in with my UCD loginID and Kerberos password. So, I click
> 'continue' and fill out the form. When I press 'ok', the information page (still
> displayed) is simply reloaded. This is not what used to happen, nor what should
> happen.

Works for me in FireFox 1.0 "preview release".  That is, I can log into
sportsclubs.ucdavis.edu with my kerberos password.  You say you "fill
out a form"; for me this is a popup window with username and password
fields.  Is that what you get?  Do you have any strange settings for
your browser, like a proxy or such?

Jonathan