[vox-tech] Cut and paste

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sun Oct 3 05:31:52 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:14:34AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
>

>>It's like there are 2 clipboards or something.  Can't I do cut and paste
>>without mousing?  The menu->edit->copy doesn't have a keyboard shortcut.
>>

>It IS a little bizarre sometimes. :^/
>
>You can add a copy keyboard shortcut to Konsole by going to
>Settings->Configure Shortcuts...

I should have looked at that, I'd been playing with other things on the
settings menu

>There's a "Copy" command in there which, by default, has no keyboard shortcut.
>

>You could also do the slightly-tedious (but understandable since this is
>a terminal app):
>
>  [Alt]
>  pause...  ("Session" menu at the top will become selected)
>  [Right]   (to move to the "Edit" menu)
>  [Down]    (to 'pull down' the "Edit" menu;
>             "Copy" is first, so will be selected)
>  [Enter]   (to choose "Edit")

Yes, I'd consider that a bit tedious :)

>Text selection (highlighting) in Konsole and then middle-click pasting
>SHOULD work, though.  But it does seem there's a difference between
>pasting the highlighted selection and pasting something you've "Edit->Copy"'d

Yep, I've discovered that.  middle mousing is different than
copy/paste.  I'm just getting used to this, coming from windows where
everything goes to the 1 clipboard

>BTW, quick example...  I can set [Alt]+[C] to be 'Copy' in my Konsole.
>

>However, that makes it impossible (or difficult, at best) to send
>an "Alt-C" sequence to a program I'm running _in_ the terminal.
>
>Emacs, for example, seems to use Alt-C to capitalize words.
>('foo foo foo' becomes 'Foo Foo Foo' if I hit Alt-C three times)
>
>So be sure to pick some key sequence you don't need in the apps you'll be
>running.  (Like [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[C] or something wacky :^) )
>
>Good luck!

Thanks Bill !

Jay