[vox-tech] Cut and paste

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Oct 2 12:37:09 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:14:34AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> It's like there are 2 clipboards or something.  Can't I do cut and paste
> without mousing?  The menu->edit->copy doesn't have a keyboard shortcut.

It IS a little bizarre sometimes. :^/

You can add a copy keyboard shortcut to Konsole by going to
Settings->Configure Shortcuts...

There's a "Copy" command in there which, by default, has no keyboard shortcut.

You could also do the slightly-tedious (but understandable since this is
a terminal app):

  [Alt]
  pause...  ("Session" menu at the top will become selected)
  [Right]   (to move to the "Edit" menu)
  [Down]    (to 'pull down' the "Edit" menu;
             "Copy" is first, so will be selected)
  [Enter]   (to choose "Edit")

Text selection (highlighting) in Konsole and then middle-click pasting
SHOULD work, though.  But it does seem there's a difference between
pasting the highlighted selection and pasting something you've "Edit->Copy"'d

BTW, quick example...  I can set [Alt]+[C] to be 'Copy' in my Konsole.
However, that makes it impossible (or difficult, at best) to send
an "Alt-C" sequence to a program I'm running _in_ the terminal.

Emacs, for example, seems to use Alt-C to capitalize words.
('foo foo foo' becomes 'Foo Foo Foo' if I hit Alt-C three times)

So be sure to pick some key sequence you don't need in the apps you'll be
running.  (Like [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[C] or something wacky :^) )

Good luck!

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                            New Breed Software
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       Tux Paint 0.9.14 -- Coming soon!