[vox-tech] Can't mount root while booting 2.6.5 kernel

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 May 2004 16:30:07 -0700

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:45:01PM -0700, Chris Jenks wrote:
>=20
>   I wrote recently about a problem I was having getting PCMCIA working
> under a custom 2.6.5 kernel. Actually, I meant the 2.6.3 kernel, because
> when I tried upgrading to the 2.6.5 kernel source that recently appeared
> in the Sarge source tree, the boot fails after about one page of messages.
> The following lines appear under the working 2.6.3 kernel but not the
> 2.6.5 kernel:
>=20
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
> ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=
=3Dxx
> hda: IBM-DTCA-23240, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: max request size: 128 KiB
> hda: 6354432 sectors (3253MB) w/486KiB cache,CHS=3D6304/16/63
>   hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
>=20
> and a few lines later, 2.6.3 gives:
>=20
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>=20
> but 2.6.5 gives:
>=20
> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or unknown-block(3,3)
> Please append a correct "root=3D" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-blobk(3,3)
>=20
>   From googling I've found that this is a common problem under 2.6 kernels
> but there seems to be a variety of causes. I've tried setting the kernel
> command line to root=3D/dev/hda3, root=3D303 or devfs=3Dmonount. I've rem=
oved
> LBA32 from lilo.conf, installed module-init-tools and udev, and I've
> confirmed that ide.o is being compiled into the kernel. The reason I
> installed udev was that the kernel config help for "/dev file system
> support" says that devfs has been replaced by udev, but the 2.2.20 kernel
> (my working fallback) doesn't (try to) start udev until after VFS. My
> starting configuration for 2.6.5 was the one that produced a booting
> kernel for 2.6.3.
>=20
>   The hardware is an IBM Thinkpad 701C 486 with an ISA bus (no PCI) and an
> ATA-3 hard drive (according to hdparm). CONFIG_ISA=3DY in the kernel conf=
ig.
> If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

The most common cause of this problem is when your root filesystem
isn't compiled into the kernel and you aren't using an initrd.

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--