recommended kernel char sets (was Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files [SOLVED])

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 27 May 2004 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

Jonathan Stickel said:
> Mark K. Kim wrote:
> <snip>
>> It's weird that Daniel's kernel didn't have UTF-8 support!  I figured
>> it'd
>> be supported by default
> <snip>
>
> What are the recommended character sets to have in a kernel?  Obviously,
> it will depend on whether you want exotic languages support.  But for
> the Joe Shmoe English only user, what should be turned on?  Pasted below
> are the defaults for my kernel.  UTF8 is not on by default, and it
> sounds like it should be.  Any others I might run into and should turn
> on with future kernel compiles?  Would modules be OK?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>

> <*> Base native language support
> (iso8859-1) Default NLS Option
> <*>   Codepage 437 (United States, Canada)
> < >   Codepage 737 (Greek)
> < >   Codepage 775 (Baltic Rim)
> < >   Codepage 850 (Europe)
> < >   Codepage 852 (Central/Eastern Europe)
> < >   Codepage 855 (Cyrillic)
> < >   Codepage 857 (Turkish)
> < >   Codepage 860 (Portuguese)
> < >   Codepage 861 (Icelandic)
> < >   Codepage 862 (Hebrew)
> < >   Codepage 863 (Canadian French)
> < >   Codepage 864 (Arabic)
> < >   Codepage 865 (Norwegian, Danish)
> < >   Codepage 866 (Cyrillic/Russian)
> < >   Codepage 869 (Greek)
> < >   Simplified Chinese charset (CP936, GB2312)
> < >   Traditional Chinese charset (Big5)
> < >   Japanese charsets (Shift-JIS, EUC-JP)
> < >   Korean charset (CP949, EUC-KR)
> < >   Thai charset (CP874, TIS-620)
> < >   Hebrew charsets (ISO-8859-8, CP1255)
> < >   Windows CP1250 (Slavic/Central European Languages)
> < >   Windows CP1251 (Bulgarian, Belarusian)
> <*>   NLS ISO 8859-1  (Latin 1; Western European Languages)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-2  (Latin 2; Slavic/Central European Languages)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-3  (Latin 3; Esperanto, Galician, Maltese, Turkish)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-4  (Latin 4; old Baltic charset)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-5  (Cyrillic)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-6  (Arabic)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-7  (Modern Greek)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-9  (Latin 5; Turkish)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-13 (Latin 7; Baltic)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-14 (Latin 8; Celtic)
> < >   NLS ISO 8859-15 (Latin 9; Western European Languages with Euro)
> < >   NLS KOI8-R (Russian)
> < >   NLS KOI8-U/RU (Ukrainian, Belarusian)
> < >   NLS UTF8

I build the wester charsets (you have selected) as static parts to my
kernel and the others as modules. I also add support for modules in many
filesystems that I do not use (eg: HFS)

It takes longer to build a kernel, but there is nearly zero memory
overhead if you do not use the modules, and you have the conveinience of
availability without rebuilding a kernel (something you often won't have
time to do if you need support for one of these anyway.)

If there is even a remote chance I may have need for support in a kernel
feature, but won't use it day-to-day, it becomes a module; there are many
filesystems included as supported in my kernel as modules which I have
never used.

HTH,
-ME