[vox-tech] emergency: please help. /lib keeps disappearing

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 May 2004 13:35:05 -0700

Issac Trotts wrote:

>On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:08:39AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>

>>On Wed 26 May 04,  8:48 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu> said:
>>

>>>On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:52:22AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>(for i in $(dpkg -l '*'|grep -v description|awk '{print $2}'); do
>>>    if dpkg -L $i | grep '^/lib/' > /dev/null ; then
>>>        echo $i
>>>    fi
>>>done) | less
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>Is there a reason to think Gentoo would have fewer problems than Debian?
>>>

>>thx, by the way!   :-)
>>

>No prob!  :o)
>

>>at some point during the history of this machine, a number of problems
>>developed with X:
>>

>[...]
>

>>they didn't happen all at once.  it's been incremental, as X got
>>updated and ran the course of a couple of years.
>>

>Well, that's no fun.  I've only used Debian for a couple of years,
>but have installed it on maybe 8 boxes so far.  The slowdown hasn't
>happened to me yet...
>

>>when i use a live CD, like knoppix, these problems go away.  i believe
>>these are compilation / packaging issues.  i'd like to see if compiling
>>everything from scratch fixes them.  i just booted knoppix for the first
>>time a few weeks ago, and the difference between X on my hard drive and
>>X on knoppix was startling.
>>

>I wonder if there's a way to get a blend between knoppix and hard-drive
>based installation.  It would be nice to be able to save files and
>keep programs around that become available...
>

>>i realize that you can certainly compile your own on debian, but from
>>what i've read about gentoo, the whole concept appeals to me.
>>

>One thing that's been keeping me from using gentoo is that I'm worried
>that installing packages will take way longer than with Debian.
>Are there binary i686 or i386 versions of most of the packages?
>
>Issac

A lot of the packages have binary versions, but it installing isn't so
bad if you get in the habit of collecting a few and then "emerging" them
at night.  You can do it with a one line command: "emarge package1
package2 package3 ..."  In the morning you can see a record of what was
done and you are told whether there are some configuration file changes
that may need attention.  There is a neat program called "etc-update"
that automatically lists the configuration files that may need to be
modified or replaced and allows you to choose between the old or new
version or combine them in whatever fashion seems appropriate.  Of
course, there are many small programs that can be installed in just a
minute or two.  But kde took over 6 hours on my athlon 2700+!

Bruce