[vox-tech] emergency: please help. /lib keeps disappearing

Wed, 26 May 2004 09:08:39 -0700

On Wed 26 May 04,  8:48 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:52:22AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [...]
> > Good.  Now I begin to recover packages.  I don't know how to get a list
> > of all packages that install files in /lib, so I do the only thing I
> > know how to do:
> >
> >    COLUMNS=255 dpkg -l "*" | grep -v 'description'
> >       | awk '{ print $2 }' > recover.sh
> >
> > which gives me a list of all installed packages.  BTW, if anybody knows
> > how to generate a list of all packages which have files in /lib, I'd
> > like to know.
>
> (for i in $(dpkg -l '*'|grep -v description|awk '{print $2}'); do
>     if dpkg -L $i | grep '^/lib/' > /dev/null ; then
>         echo $i
>     fi
> done) | less
>
> [...]
> > That's about the only thing I can think of to try (other than installing
> > Gentoo which I've been thinking about for a few weeks now).
>
> Is there a reason to think Gentoo would have fewer problems than Debian?

thx, by the way!   :-)

at some point during the history of this machine, a number of problems
developed with X:

1. X got slowish.  switching between console and X produced a 3 or 4
   second "stutter" for lack of a better word.  during the stutter, the
   screen would freeze and would have garbage drawn on it.

   when the stutter ended, everything got back to normal.

2. X just slowed down a bit period.  not much, but perceptible.

3. mesa package continually breaks for my card.  it took an NMU after a
   LONG time to fix DRI on this machine, which sucks, because this
   machine is specifically for gaming.

4. i continutally go between X and console.  after i kill X two or three
   times, the console breaks.  it looks like the console points to
   somewhere else in memory.  before you suggest, this is NOT a display
   problem.  it can't be fixed with a "reset" or "stty sane".  it's a
   memory issue.

they didn't happen all at once.  it's been incremental, as X got
updated and ran the course of a couple of years.

when i use a live CD, like knoppix, these problems go away.  i believe
these are compilation / packaging issues.  i'd like to see if compiling
everything from scratch fixes them.  i just booted knoppix for the first
time a few weeks ago, and the difference between X on my hard drive and
X on knoppix was startling.

i realize that you can certainly compile your own on debian, but from
what i've read about gentoo, the whole concept appeals to me.

pete

Good, Fast, Cheap.  Pick any two (you can't have all three)
   --- RFC 1925: The Twelve Networking Truths (The 7th truth)