[vox-tech] ssh with X11 remote - resolved

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 13:30:05 -0700

Thanks for the various (different) responses.  Here is what is working
for me:

$ssh remotehost
$screen                           (if desired, run screen)

$startx -- :1 &   (actually displays an X session on the remotehost)
	OR
$Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x16 &   (virtual X server, no real display)

$export DISPLAY="remotehost:1.0"

Xvfb works great for my purposes.  I don't seem to have the command
"xvfb-run" as suggested by Ken, but the above works just fine.

Jonathan