[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 20:07:41 -0700

Bruce Wolk wrote:
> Rod Roark wrote:
>
>>On Friday 21 May 2004 09:27 pm, Bruce Wolk wrote:
>>

>>>After I managed to wreck my Redhat 9 set-up trying to upgrade to KDE
>>>3.2, I decided to start over with Gentoo.  It has been quite a ride, but
>>>I now have a working system with KDE, Firefox, and Thunderbird.  But I
>>>am stumped trying to get decent printing.  I have an hp laserjet 1300
>>>and have set up cups and foomatic.  The test page from the CUPS print
>>>manager prints beautifully.  But any printing from the KDE programs,
>>>such as Kword or Kate, produce ugly, barely readable text.
>>>
>>>Do any of you Gentoo folks have a suggestion?  Or is fedora in my future?
>>>

>>Not sure what you've tried already.  The choice of fonts can
>>matter a great deal.  And then there's the Gentoo Printing
>>Guide:
>>
>>  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
>>
>>-- Rod
>>
> I have tried installing the printer a number of ways: the cups web gui
> http://localhost:631, the kde printer installer, and the brute force
> foomatic command line.  The printer prints the cups test page
> beautifully. Oddly, some applications now print ok, such as Kate and
> Thunderbird, which didn't when I initially faced this problem.  But in
> Kword the fonts still print ugly.  A postscript printer shouldn't have
> these problems.  Perhaps I should try openoffice and see what happens
> there.  Another long emerge...
>
> I have been impressed with Gentoo, but this printing problem is a deal
> breaker.  I am bittorrenting Fedora Core 2 as I write.  I'll put it on
> my second drive and see if things go better.

Don't give up on Gentoo yet!  Printing from KDE apps sends the job
through "kprinter".  At the bottom of the kprinter window is a selection
for "print system currently used".  Make sure that cups is selected.  I
remember that something else, like lpr, was the default.  If this
doesn't work, let me know.  I can think of other things to troubleshoot,
one at a time.

BTW:  you can use the kprinter system for printing in non-KDE apps, like
acroread and mozilla.  For the print command in the appropriate gui
window, enter "kprinter".

Jonathan