[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 22 May 2004 06:20:24 -0700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Rod Roark wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Friday 21 May 2004 09:27 pm, Bruce Wolk wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">After I managed to wreck my Redhat 9 set-up trying to upgrade to KDE
3.2, I decided to start over with Gentoo.  It has been quite a ride, but
I now have a working system with KDE, Firefox, and Thunderbird.  But I
am stumped trying to get decent printing.  I have an hp laserjet 1300
and have set up cups and foomatic.  The test page from the CUPS print
manager prints beautifully.  But any printing from the KDE programs,
such as Kword or Kate, produce ugly, barely readable text.

Do any of you Gentoo folks have a suggestion?  Or is fedora in my future?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Not sure what you've tried already.  The choice of fonts can
matter a great deal.  And then there's the Gentoo Printing
Guide:

  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml">http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml</a>

-- Rod</pre>
I have tried installing the printer a number of ways: the cups web gui
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://localhost:631">http://localhost:631</a>, the kde printer installer, and the brute force
foomatic command line.&nbsp; The printer prints the cups test page
beautifully. Oddly, some applications now print ok, such as Kate and
Thunderbird, which didn't when I initially faced this problem.&nbsp; But in
Kword the fonts still print ugly.&nbsp; A postscript printer shouldn't have
these problems.&nbsp; Perhaps I should try openoffice and see what happens
there.&nbsp; Another long emerge...<br>
I have been impressed with Gentoo, but this printing problem is a deal
breaker.&nbsp; I am bittorrenting Fedora Core 2 as I write.&nbsp; I'll put it on
my second drive and see if things go better.<br>
Bruce<br>