[vox-tech] [OT] windows XP CD won't boot

Michael Dunham vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 16 May 2004 13:46:24 -0700

>You could make a boot floppy.  Here's a rediculously, humongously, and
>superfluously long URL:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8fe6868-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&displaylang=en
>
>-Mark

Most new Windows based machines do not come with a full distribution
CD.  Instead, the partition is divided with a backup install image on
the hard disk.  The CDROM only provides access to the restore routine to
bring the machine back to the factory install.  This was a step taken to
allow machine builders to put on custom installs with the proper drivers
in place AND to make the CDROM itself useless for installs on other
machines (not that anyone would do such a thing - I mean you do own the
license, but only for the machine you bought with it :-( ).  If your
reformat wiped the drive and reset the partitions, you have no backup
image and no XP distribution to reinstall. If it did not, you should be
able to reach it with the CDROM. I suspect you wiped the disk.  If you
still have your warranty, serial number and a record of payment for the
machine, most companies will send you a new image CD with a reinstall
routine. Other than that, you will have to buy one and start again - or
go to a open source OS...

Can I sell you some free software?

Mike