[vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 05 May 2004 10:36:14 -0700

Richard Ely wrote:
> Group, I would appreciate some help.
>
> I and Richard Berkhart have been at this problem for  2 days of
> frustration, and are getting desperate.
>
> I have a small network at home.  I have Linux on three computers and we
> are trying to connect them to the Internet through DSL.

For DSL on more than one computer, I really recommend a DSL router.  I
am amazed at how simple a solution this is.  The router takes care of
making the DSL connection, and then acts as a local server (DHCP if you
like).  All the computers just need to have a simple ethernet connection
to talk to each other and see the internet.  In addition, you end up
with a no-brainer NAT firewall.

Of course, this doesn't work so well if you want a static internet IP
for web hosting or such.  But for the Joe Shmoe user, like me, it works
great.

Jonathan