[vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0

Daniel Hurt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 5 May 2004 02:09:01 -0700

Thanks for the inspiration to switch from xfree to xorg.  I found the process
relatively painless after following the docs on the gentoo forums.  The
utility etc-update made it a snap.  While I was at it, I switched from gnome
to Windowmaker.  Just a note that about the install, if you would like the
dependencies that require Xfree to now require xorg you can edit the
following file:

/etc/make.profile/virtuals

All the references to xfree in the file, change to xorg-x11.  I found four
references.  Once that is complete, you can now check for upgrades without
the emerge system trying to reinstall xfree :-)

Just a note, you might have to change two of the ebuild files to unmask the
ebuilds by default to get the dependency trees to build (you will
unfortunately have to do this every time you emerge sync).  For instance in
this file:

/usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.7.0.ebuild

Add "x86" (no tilde) to the KEYWORDS entry and now when you type:

$ emerge -ua world

It will build the correct dependency tree.  This is opposed to the following
command:

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -ua world

The problem is that it will apply the keyword settings to all the packages in
the world file and that can seriously break the system (tried that once and
had to rebuild ;-).

Dan