[vox-tech] Has anyone done cartography on Linux?

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 May 2004 17:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi henry,
>
> sounds like a 4-6 hour SDL programming project (2-3 hours for bill).
>
> collect a bunch of mouse clicks, and it's not too difficult to calculate
> a perimeter using the coordinates, assuming you only have piecewise
> straight lines and a scaling.  just the good old pythagorean theorem
> (except for the degenerate vertical line case).

A = 0.5 * sum( Vn cross Vn+1 ) for n=0 to n-1
where point n is the same as point 0

Cross product is x_n * y_n+1 - x_n+1 * y_n

> i took graduate differential geometry with dr. thurston at UCD.  one of
> the things i learned (he was surprised that nobody in the class knew
> this, but i don't know where we'd see it) was that you can calculate the
> area of an arbitrary n sided polygon (an n-gon) using a rank n
> determinant.
>
> i forget the exact details, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
>
> what else would you need?
>
> there's nothing out there that does this?

That is what bugs me about this... these are trivial things to do, but I
don't see how to make Gimp do them.

ImageJ [1] calculates areas and lengths in pixels.  Visio does it.  I
don't really spend enough time in graphics programs doing this kind of
thing to be the person to say which programs are the best at it, though.

[1] http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/