[vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

Richard Ely vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 02 May 2004 13:29:53 -0700

Group, I would appreciate some help.

I and Richard Berkhart have been at this problem for  2 days of
frustration, and are getting desperate.

I have a small network at home.  I have Linux on three computers and we are
trying to connect them to the Internet through DSL.

Physically they all work fine.  They are dual boot computers and have no
trouble using DSL through one computer.  I am desperately trying to switch
to a complete Linux system and have the following problems:

I have Libranet installed at a Installfest a few months ago.  It was a
Libranet / Debian installation done by Rusty on his last day.    ( Thanks
for all the help Rusty !!!! )

Currently, x windows works fine.

Issue 1:   The ice desktop works.   Neither gnome nor KDE work.  KDE,for
example, gets to "Initializing System Services" then simply stops.  Please
help.

*******************************

Issue two:
On the desktop gateway system I am fighting  pon DSL-provider install
utility that comes with libranet.
I install and reinstall the DSL-provider the PPP  over DSL Libranet
configuration utility.  Sometimes it works, but not often ... then after a
brief while - it simply stops.  It will work for a while, then for no
reason there is no connection between the browsers and the DSL
modem.  Reboot and reinstall it occasionally works until I try to ping an
internal networked computer - then its dead.

When I look with ifconfig, it looks OK to me.

Issue # 3:  On the home network side:
         I can ping the gateway computer from any house computer,  but I
cannot ping any other computer from the gateway computer.   Usually I get a
response like "operation not permitted" .   Doesn't matter if I am root or
not.

I know the hardware is OK as I have dual-boot WINDOS on the same machine
and it runs SBC DSL into my home network flawlessly.   When Linux boots, it
seems not to be able to configure the Eth1 port, which is probably the
problem.

I would be most grateful for some help.   If anyone is willing to do a Lert
call I will be happy to pay.

Many Thanks

A Frustrated  Dick Ely
753-08864