[vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] [rsvp-May15] Mandrake 9.2 + WinXP; trying to install Fedora Core on Virtual PC

Jan W vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 3 May 2004 16:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

Mark hit it on the head (except Mono is an Open Source implementation of .NET,
it runs on windows as well).  My logic is: (C & C++):(gcc)::(C# and
VB.NET):(Mono).  C# isn't a traditional compiled "language" (M$ calls it part
of the .NET 'framework'), parts of it are interpreted.

I don't think that Mono is included with Redhat/Fedora.  You need to D/L it
from their site, but they have source/RPM/DEB/windows .MSI, so it's fairly
easy.

He also wants to get it running in a VM on WinXP (I use VMware daily, but never
Virtual PC)...

I am nominally interested in Mono and .NET, is there anyone else sick in the
head like me?

The next question is since he is a fair hike away from davis, are we going to
make him drive all the way out for an IF, or can we/should we try to help him
via the list/IM/something else?  I'll be at the IF...

--jan

--- "Mark K. Kim" <lugod@cbreak.org> wrote:
> C# is a relatively new programming language from Microsoft used to program
> the .NET framework (among others).  .NET is for network programming, I
> think.  Mono is a Linux implementation of .NET... from the Gnome team, I
> think.  I guess Go-Mono is an implementation of Mono.  That's all I know.
> I don't know where to find Go-Mono or if Fedora comes with Go-Mono on a CD
> or if it's available on some website or how to test a C# program once
> Go-Mono is installed and I don't know the C# syntax (I know it's similar
> to C++ but that's about it.)
>
> Recruit someone from the CS club... maybe the CSIF has someone who's
> installed Go-Mono before, or at least someone who knows how to program
> .NET...
>
> -Mark
>

> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> > Anybody on this list know what this person is talking about?  Would you
> > be willing to come help him at the installfest on May 17?  If so, please
> > email if@lugod.org, or sign up and post to vox-if@lists.lugod.org.
> >
> > As an alternative, if you think this is something he can get help with
> > via the vox-tech list, let me know and I will encourage him to sign up
> here.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jonathan
> >

> > > Installfest RSVP
> > >
> > > Name: Kenny Spade
> > >
> > > 03_CPU: Pentium 5 / Compat.
> > >
> > > 04_Speed: 2400
> > >
> > > 05_RAM: 512
> > >
> > > 06_HD_Sizes: 120 GB
> > >
> > > 07_Video: NVidia GeForce FX 5600
> > >
> > > 08_Monitor: Impression 17 in Flat screen
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > 16_Problems: I currently have Mandrake 9.2 installed on a partition
> alongside WinXP, and am running well with it. I am currently attempting an
> install of Fedora Core on a Virtual PC. I\'ve got the basics down, but what
> I\'m really looking for out of the installfest is some help getting some
> development tools set up. Specifically, I am trying to get Go-Mono running
> for development in C#. If there would be a better time for this than an
> installfest, or if there isn\'t anyone available to help me with it, please
> let me know. I live a couple of hours away from Davis, but it\'s the closest
> place with a regular schedule of installfests.
> > >
> > > 17_Arrive-Time: 12pm

> --
> Mark K. Kim
> AIM: markus kimius
> Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
> Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci
> Friendster: http://www.friendster.com/user.jsp?id=13046
> PGP key fingerprint: 7324 BACA 53AD E504 A76E  5167 6822 94F0 F298 5DCE
> PGP key available on the homepage

=====
EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
foolish their lack of understanding.