[vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 -> 2.6.3 or 5

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 1 May 2004 10:39:49 -0500

Opps, forgot to post the meat of my message

Here's the kernel panic I get (copied by hand):
VFS - Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append correct "Root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

The steps I made in building my new kernel are as follows:

apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev make gcc g++ patch
apt-get install bin86 kernel-package module-init-tools
apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.3
bunzip2 -c kernel-source-2.6.3.tar.bz2 | tar xvf
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.3 linux
cd linux
cp /boot/config-2.4.25-1-386 .config
make menuconfig # didn't really do much here except make the processor type
AMD
make-kpkg clean && make-kpkg -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.3_Custom.1_i386.deb

reboot

Am I supposed to do something like:
cd /boot
mkinitrd -r /dev/hda0 -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.3
mv /initrd.img /initrd.img-old
ln -s /boot/initrd.img-2.6.3 /initrd.img
# Change my entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Honestly, I don't even know what this does, it seems important, because I
had to do it when I was playing with software raid (on a different box).
What does the the initrd.img file do/contain?

Thanks
Jay