[vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

David Hummel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:32:35 -0700

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:42:34AM -0700, Michael J Wenk wrote:

> Other than saying a bad query is a bad query, I know of no instance
> where postgres would outperform mysql,

And you wouldn't unless you've done direct comparisons on the same or
similar hardware and/or server loads, worked with varying types and
quantities of data, and done significant query optimization.

> Oh sure, if you have the time to evaluate a ton of software before
> making a decision, then good.

It's not that difficult to configure MySQL or PostgreSQL, particularly
on Linux.  And if you're using a database-independent API (available for
most languages/databases), it's even easier.

> But if you're trying to to a migration quickly(if their license
> agreement with oracle were to end in < a month) then do you really
> have the time?  If it were me I wouldn't.  I also would not have asked
> in the first place if I could spend the time on it.

If time is of the essence, you also should consider what database you're
coming from and it's level of compatibility with MySQL/PostgreSQL.  If
it's Oracle, then PostgreSQL wins out as others have mentioned.

-David