[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:03:54 -0800

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:38:07PM -0800, Jeremy Brown wrote:
> At an old apartment of mine, there were identical plugs that you could
> either plug a phone or a computer into. The only way to know which to
> use was the color of the jack. I have a splitter on my desk like the one
> I mentioned in another email. It quite comfortably fits either a phone
> plug or an RJ45 plug. I just tried. No mashing. In fact, I looked
> closely at how they went in and it was clearly designed to do just that.
> It fits in quite cleanly and the 6 pins meet the center 6 pins of the
> rj45 plug.

The body style of the rj11 jack does mash pins 1 and 8 farther down than
they would go with a rj48 plug.  I'd guess that your rj11 "floats" a lot
more than it would in an rj11 plug as well.

In your application perhaps those distinctions don't matter.  Lucky for
you.  :)

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/