[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Seth Nagao vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:52:38 -0800 (PST)

I don't know about adaptors, but if you can find a rj45 duplex adaptor and
an rj45 to rj11, then you can make/modify one.  If you can find a
combination adaptor box, it's even better.  HSC might have something like
that, and you can just wire it up as you see fit.  For aesthetics, perhaps
a project enclosure might work.
If you have the cables ready, and you don't mind looking "ghetto", you can
always remove the ends off the ethernet cable and splice the unused pair
to phone cables.  I'm assuming that you want line 1 on the phone, so the
red and green are the ring and tip.  Provided you have cables, rj45 ends,
crimper and soldering tools laying around, it's free.  Extra points for
using heat shrink instead of electrical tape. :)
Come to think of it, you could probably use a surface mount box like this:
http://www.9thtee.com/networking.htm  If you could find one with 3
keystones, you could make an adaptor easily.   A two-port will work, but
it won't be removable.
If you have the ethernet jacks installed in the walls, then it's even
easier.  Get a couple of rj11 keystones and hook them up.
--Seth
(whose rambling probably helped no one today)