[vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:30:50 -0800

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:13:09PM -0800, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I believe that Cat5 uses all 4 *pairs* of wires,
> and not just 4 wires.  Maybe that's only for full duplex....

10Base anything uses 4 wires, 2 pairs.  Wiring is 1,2 and 3,6, leaving
the inside pair free and the 7,8 pair.  Half and full duplex run over
the same cables, same pinouts, etc... the only difference is in the NIC
and the switch/hub on either end.

> IIRC, Cat3 (i.e. 10baseT) was designed with phone compatibility in
> mind.. and leaves the center pair unvired, so that it's compatible with
> the older rj11 plugs in a very direct way.  You can plug an old rj11
> plug into a rj45 jack, and I think that the original conception was
> that every jack would carry both phone and ehternet, and you could plug
> either computer or phone in as needed.

Voice'll run on just about anything, though Cat3 is the typical
"minimum" accepted by everyone.

And no, you can't just plug an rj11 into an rj48 port.  Sure you can
mash it in, but a 6 pin wide rj11 will mash pins 7 and 8 of the rj48,
and it won't fit too well either (it'll come loose and not make good
contact).  Don't do it.  Bad.  Use (or make) an adapter plug.

I'd humbly suggest it's best to keep uninformed opinions to yourself, as
you didn't add anything to this thread other than misinformation.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/