[vox-tech] How to Generate Colorized Table Slides for Presentation?

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:58:26 -0500

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:33:49AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sun 07 Mar 04,  4:06 AM, Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> said:
> > Well I don't know about our archives stinking...
> > grepmail on my 30 meg vox-tech archive takes a few seconds.
>
> well, i guess our archive are awesome.  the search utility is *useless*.
> it doesn't even always print mail correctly.  don't GET me started...
>
> grepmail sounds interesting.  from its name, i assume it knows mbox and
> can print out entire messages based on grep patterns.  does it thread?

yes, it prints out whole messages based on re's.  basically I ran:
  grepmail -i latex vt | grepmail -i longtable
(where "vt" is my local vox-tech archive)

Of course it threads...
  grepmail -i latex vt | grepmail -i longtable > look_here && mutt -f look_here

:)

> > I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll tell latex to put a .5
> > inch boarder around the page, pick a readable font size, figure out how
> > many lines fit in a given page, and have my perl stuff spit out long tables
> > of the correct length for a page... using pagebreak when needed.
>
> sure.  if you feel up to it, it might be nice to post a summary of your
> task at hand and solution.  prolly a lot of writing, but i'd sure be
> interested in reading it.

I figure if I get it working I'll post something about it...

> > Also from reading over the archives, it seems to me that tex/latex is
> > very stagnate.  latex2e was released sometime in 1994 and version 3
> > project which started then... doesn't really have anything released.
> >
> > Sigh...
>
> true.  the dev team is a little secretive.  but here's what we can
> expect from latex 3:
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/guides/ltx3info/node4.html

Sounds like it will do my laundry too...